On any given day, we use several different electrical devices. With these devices being so common we sometimes forget the very real risks and hazards that are associated with them. According to The Electrical Foundation International, electrical incidents cause 43,900 home fires, 1,430 injuries, 438 deaths and result in $1.47 billion of property damage each year. Let’s take the time to educate ourselves on the possible hazards and safety risks to make sure that everyone in our home is aware and safe.
TDR ELECTRIC HAS COMPILED A FEW HELPFUL ELECTRICAL SAFETY TIPS FOR YOU TO ENSURE A SAFER HOME:
- Remember to unplug and stow all cords safely.
- Always follow appliance instructions, and do not attempt repairs or upgrades without a licensed electrician.
- Never yank a cord from a wall.
- For households with small children, place safety caps along all unused outlets.
- Always use light bulbs that have the correct wattage requirements for each fixture.
- Never use electrical equipment near water.
- Avoid overloading outlets and never use extension cords as permanent outlets.
- Keep all clothing, toys, curtains, and other combustible material away from heat sources and electrical cords.
Our daily lives are surrounded by electricity. Carefully observe all potential risks and measures while using electricity to keep you and your family safe.